|Ship type||Federation Cruiser|
|Weapons||Burst Laser II, Artillery Beam|
|Achievements||Master of Patience, Diplomatic Immunity, Artillery Mastery|
The Osprey is a Federation craft with a powerful, shield-piercing artillery beam. This adds extra firepower at the cost of a room used for adding other systems (as of 1.5.4). It starts with a diverse crew of a Human, Mantis, Engi and Rockman. The Osprey is equipped with a Burst Laser II and one rank of its Artillery Beam.
In the newest revision of FTL this ship can have the cloak installed.
How to Unlock the Osprey
The Osprey is unlocked by defeating the second, incomplete Rebel Flagship with any ship. The incomplete Rebel Flagship will be located in a random event in the Rebel Stronghold, encountered at a non-distress beacon. The Long-Range Sensors will not detect any presence at this beacon.
- Artillery Beam pierces all layers of shields and can be very damaging.
- Diverse crew means the Osprey is well defended from boarders, can repair damage quickly, and has many blue options available at events.
- The Burst Laser II is also a strong weapon which will be useful to the end of the game.
- Artillery Beam is a very strong weapon with guaranteed damage to the final boss. It allows players to worry less about bad-luck at getting weapons from shop.
- The Artillery Beam and weapons system are two different systems housed in different rooms. It is highly unlikely that both systems will go down at the same time.
- Artillery beam fires automatically and cannot be aimed by the player.
- Artillery beam uses a system slot leaving only 1 for another system.
- This ship cannot disable enemy's weapons system quickly due to lack of secondary starting weapons. Thus, Osprey is very vulnerable to missiles or beam+laser in early game.
- Even in Advanced Edition, this ship only can install 2 extra systems. This means only cloaking OR a teleporter can be used in addition to a drone system.
- In order to defend dangerous power surges of the Rebel Flagship, all extra systems can only be used defensively. This ship lacks 3rd system thus there is no room for offensive use of extra systems.
- Ship's rooms structure is not ideal, requiring extra effort to deal with fire, intruder, and hull breach.
Leaving the Hangar
The Osprey's most unique feature is Artillery Beam. This powerful beam is powered separately from the ship's main weapons system. It cannot be manned for any bonuses. The Artillery Beam fires automatically and pierces through all shields at a constant 1 damage per room. Since the beam fires automatically and randomly, it can strike multiple rooms or just one. The ship contains a diverse crew, allowing for many blue text options early on. Due to the piercing nature of the Artillery Beam, one has the option to focus entirely on defense, ignoring weapons entirely. Using this strategy, one can neglect upgrading traditional weapons in favor of the more power-efficient Artillery Beam. With the extra scrap and power, additional shields, drones, and engine capacity can be purchased.
- The Artillery Beam fires very slowly until it is fully upgraded. It is best not to rely on it completely, unless you haven't been able to find decent weapons.
- Favour the sectors that match your crew members, in this order: Engi, Rockman, Mantis.
- Since you will always be able to destroy enemy ships (with time), an early focus on defense will pay off. Upgrade your shields and engines and get a drone control (for defense drones) as early as you can.
- Damage the enemy weapons systems to give the Artillery Beam time to charge.
- This ship lacks quick-attack tools that can disable enemy's beam+laser or missile attacks in early game, while Artillery Beam requires much time to charge. Thus, upgrading shield and drone system early will help playing this ship. This ship actually can destroy virtually all enemy without buying extra weapons, if given enough shield and defense drones.
- Master of Patience: Use only the Artillery Beam to destroy an enemy ship while taking no hull damage. Upgrade your shield to level 2 as soon as you can, then find a ship with no bombs, Burst Lasers, or missiles, and just wait for the beam to fire.
- Diplomatic Immunity: While using the Federation Cruiser, use your crew in 4 special blue event choices by Sector 5.
- Artillery Mastery: Get to Sector 5 in the Federation Cruiser without upgrading your weapons system.